In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Housing Coordinator
State Job Title: Staff Associate
Department: Residential Life
Job Code: HA5300
FLSA Status: Exempt
Bargaining Unit: APA
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Timeframe: 52 Weeks
Shift: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Regular Days Off: Saturday and Sunday
Supervision Received: This position reports to the Director of Housing Operations
Supervision Exercised: N/A
General Statement of Duties:
The Staff Associate/Housing Coordinator plays a critical role in promoting the success and well-being of residents and in achieving the goals and objectives of the Housing Operations area of Residential Life and the Division of Enrollment Management.
The Housing Coordinator performs extensive work with the University’s housing software package, housing selection processes, student room changes, and roommate mediations. The Housing Coordinator provides critical support, on-site response, and information on student housing related matters both within and outside the area of Housing Operations. The Housing Coordinator assists with communicating the positive aspects of University housing and the academic advantages of being a member of the on-campus community. University provided apartment available upon request.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Support the educational mission and goals of the Housing Operations area of Residential Life, the Division of Enrollment Management, and the University.
- Become proficient with The Housing Director (housing software package) and Banner in order to understand and maintain the integrity of, our institutional housing data.
- Assist with all student housing selection processes, room changes, housing waiting lists, petitions for release, and break housing.
- Coordinate all student meal plan assignments, changes, and removal.
- Review, update, and activate the early arrival applications and all break housing applications in The Housing Director; manage the early arrival and break housing processes each semester and notify campus partners of students registered prior to their arrival.
- Provide support when necessary to the area of Residential Engagement in managing the storage, distribution, updating, and auditing of all residence hall room keys during the academic year.
- Coordinate Health and Safety Inspections and the pre-closing inspections with the Residential Engagement staff.
- Assist the area of Residential Engagement with the submission of student maintenance requests to the Facilities and Operations Department.
- Coordinate the damage billing process at the end of each semester and process damage billing assessments during the academic year when necessary. Coordinate the student damage appeals process including reviewing and responding to each appeal; process approved refunds.
- Serve in the Administrator-on-Call rotation and manage student crisis situations in cooperation with other departments.
- Coordinate the area’s participation and be present at all Admissions open houses and participate in the Admissions Tour Guide annual training.
- Act as the department’s liaison to the Student Government Association and attend their weekly meetings.
- Have familiarity and the ability to assist with the responsibilities of the Assistant Director of Housing Operations.
- Represent Housing Operations on University committees and at other functions as designated by the Director; chair and/or serve on Housing Operations committees and perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in higher education or a related field preferred.
- Three years post Baccalaureate experience in housing and/or residential life.
- Experience with housing assignment processes and housing software programs.
- Experience serving in an on-call duty rotation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An on-line application is required. The successful candidate must submit an official transcript at the time of hire. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
Contact information for three references *
Copy of unofficial transcript of highest degree
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected. .
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
Location/Region: Westfield, MA